Before you can place a cosmetic product on the European market, your products have to comply with cosmetic regulation EC 1223/2009. To make sure this is the case, you must go through some steps.
- The process starts with choosing a responsible person. This is in simple words, someone that sees to it that a product is safe according to EU standards. This is also the person where authorities can find all the needed safety (and other relevant) documentation. This responsible person (for example Lafirgo) will compile the information into a Product Information File. Centerpiece of this PIF is the Cosmetic Safety Assessment. Lafirgo is also qualified to make this safety assessment.
- After signing contracts, Lafirgo will start working on your product information file and CSA. This means Lafirgo will ask for documents, mainly material safety data sheets of each ingredient, some test results (stability, sometimes also microbiological challenge and in rare cases a compatibilty test), analysis of ingredients (essential oils and fragrances have to be checked for 26 allergens for example), details on the production process (you have to show the manufacturing takes place according to GMP-standards), details on packaging material, the label and the formula.
- After wrapping up the PIF and cosmetic safety assessment (this can take between two weeks and three months, depending on the pace of your suppliers providing up to date and accurate documentation), it is time for the next step. Checking the label, correcting the label (on ingredients, claims, et cetera) and giving final consent.
- After receiving the final approved label and the payment for RP-services, the products will be notified in the CPNP-database of cosmetic products.
- You will receive a free digital document with the notification number, so you can show importers, buyers and distributors the product is notified and compliant with EU 1223/2009.
- Distributors will have to sign (and send) a mandate, assigning Lafirgo as their Responsible Person, otherwise they will be regarded as the RP. In this step no costs are involved.